Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Derek Turnbow: Phillies MVP

While I'm sure Andrew will be the one talking about the Phillies, I couldn't resist this topic. What do you get when you mix a hard luck baseball team with an even harder luck reliever? Some of the most entertaining ends to baseball games. Watching the Phillies play the Brewers is kind of like a Home Alone movie. Everyone just wants to see the bad guys get hit in the head, burned on the hands, and fall on their asses. So I guess that makes the Brew-Crew the bad guys (only because that's how the analogy makes sense; no harsh feelings, guys...in other words I'm hoping Prince Fielder doesn't read this, get angry, and decide to eat me), and Derek Turnbow is that big pipe that comes swinging at Harry and Marv. And yes, that does make the Philadelphia Phillies Macaulay Culkin. I'll leave you fill in your own jokes here.

My team lost tonight, but that doesn't really surprise me. We're playing the second best team in the majors, and the only reason they're second best is that our win yesterday broke the tie we had with them. It's a four game set and I'd put my money on a 50-50 split. Wakefield pitched for us and Verlander pitched for the Tigers. Up to now, Wakefield was leading the bigs in ERA. I'm pretty sure this has absolutely nothing to do with Tim Wakefield and everything to do with the Gods of the Knuckleball. But don't think that I'm knocking Wakefield. He's a stand up guy and anybody who can throw one good knuckler, let alone 100 consecutive good ones is a hell of a pitcher. Even so, I think this is an equation that would need four or five Bill James's to figure out.

Right now I'm watching the highlights from Tim Hudson's near perfect game against the Nats. After Hudson finally walks a Nat, they cut to the one fan who is on his feet clapping like a fool for his team. Coincidently, the man was also the only one in the stadium who was awake. I'm sure he was a little upset that he didn't receive a baseball or jockstrap with a message on it. Perhaps Hudson could have given him a signed copy of the rub-on tatoo he has on his right wrist. What the hell is that thing anyway? At least Zumaya's tats look intimidating with the fire coming out of his hand. Hudson's mark kind of reminds me of a Rorschach Test. First thing that comes to mind? Well if I was Tim Hudson I'm sure it's "boy, these Nats are great for my ERA! Maybe Turnbow should try this..."

Tampa Bay played in Disney World tonight in an effort to make them a "Florida team and not just a Tampa Bay team." It's no wonder this didn't work; old retired Jews still root for the Yankees or Mets no matter where they are.

Well I, and the rest of you loyal readers, need to get to bed. Don't forget to watch ESPN's Wednesday night game when Julian "how-long-til-Lester's-back" Tavarez matches up against Mike Maroth. It should be an excellent chance to see our bullpen in action. Okie dokie!

-Flig

No comments: