Sunday, May 13, 2007

We can win anyway

So I leave my house at 4:30 with an injured Josh Beckett and a four run deficit. I come home and find we've scored 6 runs in the ninth inning to win it and Beckett might not even miss his next start. Can baseball life get better?

This is a message to the Phillies: you guys can score every day of the week, not just one day at a time (an 11 run mark last night). I'm still pretty amazed that they give Geary the ball. You'd think they would have learned by now.

Dusty Baker is now part of the baseball tonight crew. Apparently to gain a position there you have to have gone to the Joe Morgan School of Useless Phrases. I especially loved the end of the show when each broadcaster was asked to say something very quickly and Dusty just kept uttering the names of baseball teams. Senility much? No wonder the Cubbies are going into shock with Pinella. The past few seasons they probably thought they were the A-Team at the Chicago Regional Mental Health Center. Don't get me wrong Dusty seems to be one of the nicest guys to walk the Earth, but he kind of reminds me of one of those dolls that you pull the string and they say something funny.

Speaking of Baseball Tonight, I think John Kruk might be one of the most unintentionally funny individuals on the face of the Earth. Three Kruk stories:
1. During one episode of Baseball Tonight a year or two ago, Kruk was explaining how to pick up the ball as it came out of the pitcher's hand. At the end, one of the other commentators asked him how you pickup a submarine pitcher's delivery, since Kruker had been demonstrating for the typical pitcher's delivery. Kruk replied, "Oh I never could hit those guys." One of the funniest things that isn't on youtube (or so I think).
2. The diet pill commercial where Jon Kruk appears on screen for only about 8 seconds but manages to say "Now my wife doesn't find me so disgusting!"
3. The best for last. I know this one is out there on the internet. It's from an episode of the Best Damn Sports Show Period. A comedian named Jeff Dunham whose act includes ventriloquy was on the show. One of Dunham's "characters" is a wooden puppet named Walter who loves to make fun of people. The doll was ribbing all of the people on the show that night, but then looks at Kruk and says "300 million sperm and that's the one that makes it through." Kruk was visibly angry at a piece of wood! He either forgot or didn't realize that there was a real live human being that had his hand up the puppet's ass. It was great TV.

In a somewhat related story I'm writing this from the sofa of my living room. The Fligge's have finally become wireless. Although my dad still doesn't know how to set the clock on the answering machine.

Happy Mothers Day to all my readers. So yeah, Andrew tell your mom I said Happy Mom's Day.

-Flig

No comments: